COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUE AT THE END OF WAANSA GENERAL ASSEMBLY HELD IN APIS/ UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA CENTER ON 18TH APRIL 2018.
All the delegates brought their report from their zones. WAANSA- Nigeria agreed on a set of recommendation which include inter- alia;
- WORRIED about the spate of killings across the country, urge the federal government to be more proactive in handling the menace.
- IMPRESSED by the federal governments more to transform presidential committee on small arms and light weapons to a FULL FLEDGED commission in line with Ecowas convention.
- PAUCITY of accurate data on small arms and light weapons is largely responsible for killings and allied attendant menace.
- REVIEW/PASSAGE of the comatose fire arms act bill of 1959 by the national Assembly is urgently imperative.
- Relevant, ministries, department and agencies should up their responsibilities in domestication of relevant international treaties to curtail some of our home grow security challenges.
- APPRECIATE efforts of Donors and firmly institution in capacity building of cso, and urge them not to relent on their noble contribution.
- EXPRESS support for any initiative that would douse electoral tension pre and post 2019 general election.
- CALL on donors, finding agencies ministries department and relevant institutions to partner with WAANSA on proliferation of small arms and light weapons.
- CALL on Nigerians to desist from using social media negatively to propagate late speeches, divisible tendencies that are capable of fueling violence.
- URGE the newly elected officers to be more resources, transparent and pragmatic in their discharge of their effective duties as a clear departure from the experiences of the recent past.